Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The beginning of my bliss

I just started attending a ladies book study. We are going to be going through the book The Pilgrims Progress by John Bunyan. I'm looking forward to what I can learn from it. Yesterday, as we were reading, Christian came to the foot of the cross and his burden fell off of his back and rolled into the tomb. below is the song Christian sings as an expression of joy and relief. Reading this really encouraged me. The notes in my book also add, "A Christian can sing, though alone, when God doth give him the joy of his heart. "

Thus far did I come laden with my sin;

Nor could ought ease the grief that I was in,
Till I came hither: what a place is this!
Must here be the beginning of my bliss?
Must here the burden fall from off my back?
Must here the strings that bound it to me crack?
Blessed cross! blessed sepulchre! blessed rather be
The man that there was put to shame for me.

Lord - thank you for relief!

No comments: